metadata in dbms is the data (information/schema) of any other data.It is data about data. We learn to Types of Metadata, Types of dictionaries and metadata in dbms.
Metadata in DBMS? – what is metadata in dbms?
Metadata in DBMS is characterized(all details) as data about data.
“data about data”.
- Stored procedures
- User defined functions
- Backup files
- Restored files
- User groups
- Datatype size
- Number of rows and columns
- Program size
- Table size
- Variable size
What is Metadata?
metadata in dbms is data about data. In other words, it is the details that is used to describe the data that is contained in a web page, document or file.
Metadata is a step by step clarification or conclusion of data. Metadata represents details used everywhere by each industry in a number of ways.
metadata in dbms is used in details music services, online retailing, social media, software, systems and websites.
A simple example of metadata : Metadata for a document can include a collection of details such as the author, file size, date of creation of the document and keywords to describe the document. The artist name, album name, etc. can be taken in the metadata for a music file.
There are many types of metadata and they are used to serve a wide range of purposes that can be broadly classified as business, technical or operational, metadata in dbms.
Descriptive metadata includes author, creation date, genre, subject and title.
Rights metadata may include copyright status, rights holder or license terms.
Types of Metadata
- Technical Metadata
- Operational Metadata
- Business Metadata
- Descriptive Metadata
Types of dictionaries
- Active data dictionary
- Passive data dictionary
Technical metadata includes compression type, creation date, file type, size and time. It is often used for digital object management & interoperability.
Preservation metadata is used in navigation.
Markup languages include metadata used for navigation and interoperability, properties of markup languages can include heading, name, date, list, and paragraph.
Metadata OR Website Searches
- The metadata embedded in the website is critical to the success of the site. This includes description of the website, keywords, metatags and much more – all of which play a part in search results.
- Some common metadata terms used when creating web pages include meta title and meta description.
- The meta title briefly explains the page to the readers of what they will find in the page should they open it.
- The meta description contains further information.
- Also Both segment of metadata are displayed on search engines(Like google, Yahoo or many more) for readers to get a easy glimpse of the page.
- Search engines use this information to group similar items together so that when you search for a specific keyword or group of keywords, the result is Be relevant to your search.
- The metadata of a web page can also include the language the page was written in, such as an HTML page.
Metadata for tracking – metadata in dbms
- Retailers and online shopping sites use metadata to track the habits and activities of consumers. Digital marketers follow your every click and purchase, storing details about you such as the type of device you use, your location, time of day, and any other data that may be available to you. They can collect legally.
- With this details, they build a picture of your routine and interactions, your preferences, your associations and your habits, and can use that picture to deliver their products to you.
- Internet service providers, governments, and anyone else can possibly use metadata from web pages, emails, and other places to monitor web activity.
- Since metadata is a small representation of large data, this details can be searched and filtered to find details about millions of users at once, and things like hate speech, threats, etc. be able to track
Metadata in computer files
- Also Every file you save on your computer system includes some basic details about the file, Therefor that the OS(operating system) understands step by step how to deal with it.
- For example, in Windows, when you look at the properties of a file, you can clearly see the name of the file, the type of the file, where the file is saved, when the file was created and when it was last updated. , you can clearly see how much space the file is taking on the hard drive.
- This details can be used by the operating system as well as by other programs. For example, you can use the file search utility to quickly find files on your computer that were created some time ago and are larger than 3 MB.
Metadata in Social Media
Metadata is useful in specific social media situations, such as looking for someone on Facebook. You can see the profile image of a friend and a brief description of the Facebook user.
Metadata OR Database Management
In the world of database management, metadata can address the size and formatting of a data item and other characteristics. It is necessary to interpret the content of the data in the database.
What is not metadata?
Metadata is the data that describes the data, but it is not the data itself. Metadata is saved in a Microsoft Word document. Since metadata is not actual data, it can usually be safely made public as it does not allow anyone access to the raw data.
For example metadata in dbms, knowing summary details about a web page or video file is enough to understand what a file is but not enough to actually view the entire page or play the entire video.