Tell me about yourself ? – The answer to this basically sets the starting point to the rest of our rest of the interview. Let’s discuss some of the points that will create a good impression over you.
tell me about yourself sample answers
“Tell me something about you” or “tell me something about you.” think about this question before reading supplementary. Now ask this question to yourself and answer it honestly (and answer is to be given in English as most of the big companies conduct interviews in English only.)
Often when we answer this question, after saying 3 or 4 lines, we start thinking what to say next? And sometimes after three or four lines, he is not able to speak anything. This often happens because we take this question lightly and without preparing for it, we go to the interview and there we are not able to tell much in answer to this question.
This is the first question from my previous post “44 Common Questions Asked in Every Interview” on Pakainfo. This is such a question which is very simple in appearance but very important question.
Small and big companies are not known, but this question is definitely asked in every big company, MNC.
This question is asked in almost every interview. So I will tell about it in details.
When answering this seemingly simple question, we get stuck. Or get confused what to say next? Due to which their impression in front of the interviewer gets spoiled. But if you go through this question by understanding it well, preparing for it, then you will know what to say and how to speak it?
And you will give a good, sensible answer in front of the interviewer that actually the interviewer wants from you. This will make an impression on the interviewer and your chances of getting selected in that interview will increase.
Why is this question asked?
There are Primary main two reasons for asking (Tell me about yourself ?)this question.
1. To make the candidate feel a little comfortable. (To make the candidate feel comfortable)
Often while giving an interview, there is a little fear, doubt, lack of confidence, hesitation, confusion in the mind of the candidate. This question is asked because every candidate has something to tell about himself.
Every candidate knows about himself. When the candidate speaks something about himself in the beginning, then his hesitation decreases, his fear decreases and his confidence increases and he feels relaxed. And then gets confident for further questions.
2. To know the candidacy of the candidate.
Sometimes the interviewer does not have enough time to read everything about you from your CV or they may even ask questions to check your confidence that how much you have prepared for the interview.
Interviewer gets to know from this question how fit you are for that job. So while answering this question it should be kept in mind that your answer should be focused on your personality, qualification, work experience, interests and skills.
Not your life story or something that is not needed for that job. Your answer should show that you are the right candidate for that job profile.
The main purpose of asking this question is to know about the candidate whether he is fit for the company or that job.
How to prepare for this question? (How to prepare interview about myself)?
Often the candidates get confused while answering this question without preparation, what to say or what not to say? Or else he starts telling the story of his life to the interviewer. Keep in mind that the interviewer hasn’t called you to tell your life story.
To answer this question correctly, you have to prepare it wisely. If you did not answer this question correctly, then you will have this impression on the interviewer that you are for this company or this job:
- be inexperienced. (Naive or inexperienced)
- Your qualification is low. (Under – Qualified)
- You have more qualifications. (Over-qualified)
- Have come for the interview without preparation. (unprepared for the interview)….. so not really interested for this job.
- Not the right candidate for the company. (Not a suitable candidate for the company) ……so may be a risk for the company.
Today on pakainfo I am telling you which things have to be added in answer to Tell me about yourself ? question.
Tell me personal things about yourself. Like – your name, where do you belong to.
Example: Sir, I am Harshad. I belongs to Rajkot. If the interviewer knows your name then you do not need to mention your name. Then you say “Sir, I belongs to Rajkot.” can start with.
If you are a fresher then tell about your education. For example – what is your education (degree, diploma etc)? Where did you pass? How many marks did you get? What was the subject?
tell me about yourself example answer
Example 1 : I completed my 12th grade from Rajkot public school with 92% from CBSE board last year.
Example 2 : I have done MCA in GTU from AKG college with 82% in 2021. If you are experienced then tell only about your latest education. Where are you from then? How many marks? No need to tell.
Example : I have done B.Tech in GTU.
experience & achievements
If you are a fresher then you can tell some of your achievements. For this you have to make a list of 3 or 4 achievements. For example, you have prepared a project or application, made a presentation, received an award or appreciation for any work.
Example : I have done a project or application on producing light during my MCA. I have step forward for many social work as well as also take part in the clean my city campaign. If you are experienced then tell about your experience.
Example: I have 10+ years experience as a computer programmer. I have excellent knowledge of various programming languages like C, PHP, Laravel and Angularjs, shell scripting. I have learned a lot of techniques, tools and skills that would help me in my next role.
I also managed a team of 5 members. I have strong interpersonal skills and ready to face challenges and get along with the people very well.
Career goals/ Interest in Company (for Tell me about yourself ?)
Be sure to include your career goals in your answer. Include such goals in your answer that you can achieve by coming to that company. Your forward thinking should be known from your goals.
Your answer should make the interviewer feel that you will work in that company for a long time. Never include your life goals (like buying a house, buying a car, traveling abroad, etc.) in your answer.
Example for Fresher :- I want to get a job in a reputed organisation. Where I can enhance my knowledge and skills and learn new things to get update with the world.
Example for Experienced :- I want to contribute my knowledge, skills, abilities & hard work in the position which I will be offered and to become an asset for the organisation by achieving higher position of the organisation.
Tips to remember. for Tell me about yourself ?
- Do not recite your CV by rote during the interview.
- For this question, the answer should be prepared by writing in advance and till it is not remembered properly, it is not understood properly, then it should be practiced.
- Whatever information you give should be relevant & true. Never speak false or wrong things in the interview.
- Whatever information you give should be focused on your position, experience and interest in that company.
- Your life story or such unnecessary information that does not match with that job profile, should not be told during the interview.
- Your answer should be out in 2 to 3 minutes. An impression of less than 2 minutes or longer than 3 minutes will not be good.
Sample Example for “Tell me about yourself”.
Here I am giving an example of a candidate named Harshad, who is giving an interview for the position of a web developer.
Sample answer – 1 (If Harshad is a fresher.)
Hello sir, Good Morning! My name is Harshad. I am from Rajkot. I have done MCA in computer science from AKG college with 85% in 2021. I have done a project to develop a website.
I also done certification course on C, PHP, and Laravel. I have worker for many social work and also take part in clean my city campaign.
I want to get a job in reputed company where I can enhance my knowledge and skills and learn new things to get updated with the world.
Sample answer – 2 (If Harshad is an experienced.) – tell me about yourself sample answers
Hello Sir, Good Morning!
- I am Harshad.
- I am from Rajkot.
- I have done MCA in computer science. I have 10+ year experience as a computer programmer.
- I have excellent knowledge of various programming languages like C, PHP, Laravel and Angularjs, shell scripting.
- I have learnt lot of techniques, tools and skills that would help me in my next role.
- I also controled a team of 6+ members.
- I have powerful interpersonal skills as well as ready to face dares and get along with the member very well.
- I have worker for many social work and also take part in clean my city campaign.
- I want to contribute my knowledge, skills, abilities & hard work in the position which I will be offered and to become an asset for the company by achieving higher position of the company.
Tell me about yourself ?
There are top 15 ways to tell me about yourself example OR describe yourself.
- Community minded Team Player
- Customer Focused
- Driven to Excellence
- Goal oriented
- Growth and Development
- Positive self-Started
- Resolute and Decisive
- Results Oriented and Pragmatic
- Revenue generator
- Strong Personal Values
- Top Performer
- Vision for success
thanks for reading our Articles, today the step by step preparation of the answer of “Tell me about yourself” has been discussed in great information.
as well as with tell me about yourself examples as much as possible, it has been explained to you in a superb or great way.