annaprashan vidhi sanskar and ceremony, According to Hindu religion, every important stage of human life is divided into 16 parts. On the basis of religion these 16 parts have been named as sacraments which people conduct as a ceremony with complete method.
One of these rites is the ‘Annaprashan Sanskar’ in which the infant is first introduced to cereals with traditional methods. Before Annaprashan ceremony, an infant is dependent only on mother’s milk, hence it is considered an important occasion.
If you are also going to perform Annaprashan Sanskar for your child, then read this article to know its complete method and importance.
annaprashan vidhi – what is annaprashan sanskar?
‘Annaprashan’ is a Sanskrit word which means ‘beginning to consume grain’.
This is also one of the many sacraments in Hinduism, in which parents start feeding food to their child with complete rituals, worship rites.
This sanskar is performed by feeding rice to the child for the first time. Often parents do this sanskar for their child along with the whole family which is also considered as an important development of him.
This is the time when the baby starts consuming solid foods along with breast milk.
Annaprashan is a ritual known by different names in different states of the country like Mukhebhat in West Bengal, Chorunu in Kerala, Bhatkhulai in Garhwal and so on. After this ritual, the baby is gradually weaned from breast-feeding and is given mostly solid food.
Importance of Annaprashan Sanskar – annaprashan vidhi
As mentioned earlier, Annaprashan signifies the next step in the development of a child. This method of Annaprashan, which started from the Vedic age, is celebrated in South Asia, Iran as well as the Zoroastrians.
According to the rituals and customs of their respective regions, this method is performed between the age of 5 to 9 months of the child. According to tradition, this sanskar is not performed for a child below four months or above one year.
In many places, full importance is given to the Annaprashan ceremony and for this a ceremony is organized in which many guests come and this includes banquet in a big venue.
Priests are also called to conduct the Annaprashan Mantra on the auspicious time chosen for the occasion.
Annaprashan ceremony organized
Initially, Annaprashan was celebrated at home. But, nowadays people prefer to perform this ritual in places like party hall. It is also organized in the temple with the blessings of God.
This ceremony is for one day but if the parents want to include some entertainment and games along with this ritual, then it can be celebrated for two days.
Annaprashan decoration Video
Annaprashan ceremony method (annaprashan vidhi)
The method or annaprashan vidhi of Annaprashan Sanskar is started by making the child sit on the lap of his maternal uncle, in which the maternal uncle feeds his nephew the first bite of solid food.
When the child eats the first morsel, the rest of the family also feeds him small meals along with many gifts.
Similarly, the method of Annaprashan is completed. At the end of this process some material is placed in front of the child like clay, gold ornaments, pens, books, food and so on.
Now out of these things the child has to choose one thing. According to the custom, the choice of the child is considered a symbol of his future.
- If a child chooses gold ornaments, it is believed that he will become rich in future.
- If the child chooses the pen it means that he will be wise.
- A child is believed to be wise if he chooses a book.
- If he chooses soil, it means that he is lucky in terms of property.
- And if the child has chosen food, then it is believed that he will be a sympathetic person and a charity.
Various Recipes for Baby during Annaprashan
Various dishes along with rice are cooked for the baby during Annaprashan, they are as follows;
- Rice Kheer / Payasam / Payasam
- plain mashed rice with ghee
- Dal, Sambar or Rasam
- Fried Rice or Casserole
- fish dishes
- meat dishes
What is the importance of Kheer or Payasam in Annaprashan?
Kheer or Payasam is popular all over India and the baby is introduced to solid food with these recipes. It is usually made by mother or grandmother and this delicious dish is fed to the baby in a silver vessel.
Some precautions to keep in mind during Annaprashan
- The baby is very small during this ceremony so some precautions need to be taken while introducing the baby to solid food, let us know;
- If the child does not want to eat kheer, then it is not mandatory, you can feed your child plain rice by mashing it.
- The food of the child should be cooked in the right process and in a healthy environment, so that the child remains healthy.
- Consult a doctor for information on foods that are safe for children.
Some Tips for Safe Annaprashan Ceremony – annaprashan vidhi
Although Annaprashan ceremony is a safe ceremony, but the following tips have been given to make it enjoyable for everyone; Let us know;
- Feed the baby with clean hands as they can easily get infected at this age.
- Let the child sleep well before the ritual so that he does not become irritable during the ritual.
- Do not invite too many guests to the function as it may create discomfort for your child.
- Dress your child in soft and comfortable cotton clothes.
- Do not make the child wear heavy, pearl and thread embroidered clothes as this can affect the baby’s skin.
- Dress the baby in loose-fitting clothes so that his stomach is not compressed.
- If the climate is cold, keep a sweater or cardigan nearby.
- Place a soft towel or napkin on the baby to clean.
- Keep the child busy in a safe place away from the crowd.
- Keep the child away from ritual fire as its smoke can irritate his eyes and throat.
- The venue of the ceremony organized for the child should be open and ventilated so that the guests are also not inconvenienced by the smoke and heat.
- Offer the invited guests a breakfast of sweets and nuts, it shows humility.
- Get your child photographed and video made to make this important event a memorable one.
- The function of Annaprashan is very important in a child’s life and at the same time it also signifies the next step towards the development of the child.
Related searches : annaprashan vidhi sanskar and ceremony
#annaprasanam #annaprasan #annaprasana #annaprasanadecoration #annaprasanadecorations #annaprasanaforbabyboydecorations #annaprasanaitems #annaprasanam #annaprasanna #annaprashan #annaprashanceremony #annaprashanceremonydecorations #annaprashandecoration #annaprashandecorationideas #annaprashanforbabygirl #annaprashanmenu #annaprashanphotography #annaprashanriceceremonyquotes #annaprashansanskar #annaprashansanskardecoration #annaprashanthalidecoration #annaprashanvidhi #annaprashanwishes #annapurnamantrabeforeeating #firstriceeatingceremony #foodceremony #homeannaprashanceremonydecorations #riceceremony #riceceremonydecoration #ricefeedingceremony